Maybe each element could have its own unique or ultimate skill that would specialize in the element's strength itself, for example fire summoning a massive meteor down on their enemy, earth surrounding themself in large stone shards for heavy protection, water calling down heavenly rain for healing over time of large amounts, and air creating a mini tornado to trap their enemy in for an amount of time.

Edited by Joseph

Combo abilities would be cool.

For example, standart martial arts 'punch', 'kick', 'finishing blow', 'double strike' chained together in one epic combo, but still could be used individually. Or party combo skills, where two elements combine together, like if you are water guy in party with an earth guy, you could cast two aoe spells 'earth walls' and 'heavenly rain' to create a 'sanctuary' which not only will heal and defend on an increased rate, but also buff or something.

Apologize if you saw the unfinished version.

Edited by adventurerus

Maybe each element could have its own unique or ultimate skill that would specialize in the element's strength itself, for example fire summoning a massive meteor down on their enemy, earth surrounding themself in large stone shards for heavy protection, water calling down heavenly rain for healing over time of large amounts, and air creating a mini tornado to trap their enemy in for an amount of time.

ooh nice. and as adventurerus mentioned combo abilities I immediately thought of some sort of charge ability :)

Combo abilities would be cool.

For example, standart martial arts 'punch', 'kick', 'finishing blow', 'double strike' chained together in one epic combo, but still could be used individually. Or party combo skills, where two elements combine together, like if you are water guy in party with an earth guy, you could cast two aoe spells 'earth walls' and 'heavenly rain' to create a 'sanctuary' which not only will heal and defend on an increased rate, but also buff or something.

Apologize if you saw the unfinished version.

That's a pretty awesome idea, it really promotes and encourages players to team up so they can get the most out of their abilities. The thought Of elements working together to become stronger is genius.

@minche - charge attack, like holding down your attack until you're near an enemy, then unleashing it? That's a nice idea, that way you could have a powerful first hit on them.

Edited by Joseph

Maybe just stick with his combo idea.

My interpretation of the charge attack isn't really necessary.

Edited by Joseph

You doubt the combo idea? Or the charge? The combo idea of using 2 different elemental buffs on one person to form a little stronger of a buff is a pretty amazing idea he had. :)

Or even combining two different elemental attacks in one enemy to do a little more damage. It wouldn't need different attack animations or anything. Just this attack + another attack = a stronger attack.

Edited by Joseph

Apologies for double posting, as I just came back from the movie Maleficent and saw a great opportunity of suggesting some of her skills she used in the movie as possibilities for LQ as they were so inspiring to me.

Starting off with Air, I thought maybe air elementals could use some type of wing-based skills that would allow them to blow their opponent away a few spaces with a gust of wind, or even knock them off their feet for a few seconds and do some damage. Air just makes me think of control, and what better way to control your enemy than using the wind to do your bidding. Also maybe a wing slash, using your wings' power to well.. slash your opponent. Assuming lightning will be a sub element or just part of air, I thought controlling lightning storms and using them to electrify and shock your enemies would be awesome.

As for Earth I have plenty of thoughts. Wall of thorns, creating a wall around you that deals damage to your opponent when they attack you and protects you from some damage. Vine tangle, tangling your opponent up in vines and constricting them for a moment. Petrify, turning your opponent into stone for a duration. Tree guardian, summoning a massive tree guardian to hurl boulders and swing their long branchy arms at your enemy. Terraform, surrounding yourself with rocks and branches and all earthy materials to become a tanky form of earth itself.

That's all I've thought of for now. I hope I've been somewhat helpful.

Edited by Joseph

Air:

Change wind - a big AOE area which speeds your allies up and slows your enemies down.

Leap - a teleport across a small distance (anywhere on your screen you could walk from your current position, but instantly).

Exhale - blow your opponent away.

Change pressure - create an AOE area which damages enemies.

Hurricane - a projectile which goes through enemies in a row and deals damage.

Fire:

Smoke cloud - an AOE area which poisons and blinds enemies.

Firestar - shoot fireballs in eight directions.

Phoenix - a bird of fire which acts like a chain lightning, landing on enemies, dealing some damage over time and jumping on next enemy, up to 5.

Firefist - your next attack sets an enemy on fire and casts a buff that gives you bonus atk for 30 secs.

Edited by adventurerus

I had a talk with one of the guys at work and he brought up a good point about the pathfinding. That is that if you have traps, aoe or anything that is a ground effect that people will rabble if the pathfinding walks them over it. The pathfinding isn't perfect. It will generally find the shortest path from A to B, but that is not usually the most direct path (there are many factors) nor is it always where the player wants to go. Also, if two routes are the same distance, it will favor one over the other, but not necessarily every time. It doesn't take into account anything on the ground. It will just calculate a path from A to B, but that might not be where the player wants to go. Especially if there are things like traps you could walk over. And having it always walk around stuff like that it is really not fair. You know that if you see one path that is clear and you click to the other side and the computer calculates a path around where it is not safe, but maybe is just a hair shorter, people will complain that it didn't take them where it was supposed to. Just something to keep in mind when talking about stuff like that.

How about each element having branching paths one you could choose skills from? For example:

Fire (Offensive Path): High DPS, very aggressive, mostly direct damage in rapid bursts, as to finish the opponent off as quickly as possible.
Fire (Defensive Path): "Wall of Thorns" situation; you hit me, you get hurt. Relies on burn damage and reflection/deflection.

Fire (Hybrid/Other Path): AoE and minor burn damage, with some other, more gimmicky skills, such as movement options and spacing.

I hope it's clear enough to be a basic idea we can build something out of.

that was discussed, but I think idea is mostly dismissed because it then limits you to one path.

maybe your element would allow for faster skill acquisition, or extra lvl for skill, or something like that, but it should never limit your choice of skills.

How would that be a passive? You just automatically start stealing health from mobs around you? Actually, that might be interesting as a cursed item. It steals hp from all mobs within X range, but they all notice and agro to you, even if non-agro.

How would that be a passive? You just automatically start stealing health from mobs around you? Actually, that might be interesting as a cursed item. It steals hp from all mobs within X range, but they all notice and agro to you, even if non-agro.

Life steal is normally based on a percent of the damage you deal to one enemy, for example you have 5% life steal and you hit a monster for 200 damage then 10 of of his health is taken and added to your health bar.

A life steal aura would be The AoE he meant if you're talking about that. In that case he would leech health from enemies close enough to him each second for 30 seconds.

EDIT: sorry I didn't make it clear what I meant in my previous post. My life steal thought was just single target and passive.

Edited by Joseph

Not sure if it goes here, but llama talked about curses here, so...

Cursing and blessing are very cool stuff, do you plan implementing them?

Just ang idea on how it could work -

There is light power and dark power. When dark outweights light, the item is cursed, when light outweights - it's blessed. Both blessing and cursing have their own cons and pros. To divide light and dark, you need an elemental prism. You place the prism on the ground and cast spells at it. It then registers your element and power of your spells, and converts it to elemental power inside the prism. Then you need to worship a god by sacrifising right amount of each god's special items or mobs. When you sacrifice mobs, it unleashes some part of the elemental power to darkness and a little to light, items unleash more light than dark. The more raw power - the more powerfull the curse/bless. Their type is determined by element and balance of light of dark, if too much one and too little other - it gives it a lot of cons, and if it's well balanced - it has more pros, although less powerfull because there would be less of the determined side than could if not balancing.

That's just a random idea I had in my head, it might not work at all.

Not sure if it goes here, but llama talked about curses here, so...

Cursing and blessing are very cool stuff, do you plan implementing them?

Just ang idea on how it could work -

There is light power and dark power. When dark outweights light, the item is cursed, when light outweights - it's blessed. Both blessing and cursing have their own cons and pros. To divide light and dark, you need an elemental prism. You place the prism on the ground and cast spells at it. It then registers your element and power of your spells, and converts it to elemental power inside the prism. Then you need to worship a god by sacrifising right amount of each god's special items or mobs. When you sacrifice mobs, it unleashes some part of the elemental power to darkness and a little to light, items unleash more light than dark. The more raw power - the more powerfull the curse/bless. Their type is determined by element and balance of light of dark, if too much one and too little other - it gives it a lot of cons, and if it's well balanced - it has more pros, although less powerfull because there would be less of the determined side than could if not balancing.

That's just a random idea I had in my head, it might not work at all.

That idea sounds pretty amazing, that's what I first thought when I saw cursed and blessed, I resembled them as light and dark. I never can choose between the two. But, really love your idea. :)

I'd like to see a skill that doubles the damage you deal for XX seconds/minutes, but drains you by half your Defense.

Not only that, but a skill to freeze an opponent/mob for XX seconds/minutes. It could be nice to freeze an opponent/mob to escape or deal some damage without taking any.

Another Idea that came to mind, status effects. It does something constant to your opponent unless they are immune to status effect(s). This could be dealing constant damage to your opponent, decreasing accuracy, lowering their attack (Defense, etc.), or even making them slower.

Some skill suggestions inspired by Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Air

-----

A type of "force choke" that involves lifting your opponent into the air and choking them. This would be a crowd control skill requires you to channel for the duration, which would also do damage over time.

Inspired by "saber throw" , you throw your weapon at your enemy and it stuns them for a short duration, then your weapon returns to you.

Inspired by "force repulse" , you gather air around you until you're surrounded with it then you unleash it in an area around you, blasting enemies away a short distance. While charging this skill, you take reduced damage from all sources.

Fire

-----

Wrist rocket - you fire a small incendiary missile from your wrist that explodes on contact and engulfs your enemy in a short burst of flame damage.

Thermal detonator - you hurl a small grenade at your enemy's feet and it explodes, doing area damage and knocking enemies down for a short duration.

Water

--------

Inspired by "kolto cloud"  - you throw down an orb filled with magical water that bursts and emits a glowing cloud in a small area that heals all who are in that area.

Earth

-------

Inspired by "project" - you send chunks of debris at your opponent, slowing their movement and doing damage on hit. This skill channels and continuously sends small debris at your enemy for a short duration.

These are just some ideas to inspire other skills, but If any of these skills are used, all their names can be changed and altered in a way as to avoid any copyright infringement. 

Earth - Meat Shield

A bunch of llamas are summoned which surround enemies and block their movement and attack / enemies attacks would hit them - but don't do any damage and have very low health.

Edited by LlamaDisciple