iamallama

Devblog 66: 6 new updates. It never ends!

Code

So, there was a lot of work this last month. And to show it all off, I made a video as proof it all works. The first 5 minutes is me explaining and showing everything new. The last is just us running around having fun and showing off. I'll explain it all below the video. Have a look:

So, what's in the video and what's new?

• New tileset: I know we talked about it before, but the new map actually made it into the build. Look at that sexy water. :)
  • Mob pathfinding: Server side pathfinding is in place for mobs. They also only pick walkable areas to spawn or walk to. There needs to be a little improvement here, but it is working. And really would be fine if I just left it. It's more just me being critical about some silly stuff.
  • Ari has a new house: You can see it in the video. LT spent some time and made a little shack in one of his streams. We added it to the map for testing a new feature.
  • Interiors: We had a small discussion. And I offered two ways. First, either walk into a building and have roof disappear. Or second, quick fade out and teleport to an interior location. The first is more seamless, but the second allows us to have larger interiors than exteriors. The second method also allows us to do stuff like multiple floors as you could walk to stairs and use the same method to warp a second floor. So we went with the second method.
  • Mobs attack back: And you can die.
  • Death animation: You explode when you die. For now at least. And I can replace it pretty easily with any of a hundred or so animations I have already or that we make. There will likely be a simple default animation and we can potentially sell additional animations like other explosions, gravestones with ghosts, exploding blood...whatever you want. More will likely be released over time.
So, like I said. Lots of stuff. Representing many hours from late nights and long days. It's getting late now and I'm tired and I'm sure you want to see all this awesomeness I'm typing so I'm just going to keep it short and say thanks to all of you for the support. :D

One last quick thing. If you watched the video past the 3 minute mark. Here is a screenshot from the server monitoring software showing how the server was keeping up. This was actually from the 5 minute range where there was like 6 people on and 300 mobs running around.

Bq6FL8u.png

So you can see, the server never broke a sweat. It never really went over 0.3% cpu usage and while it was reserving 3 gigs of ram, there is 16 gigs total dedicated to it and the actual usage never went over 1 gig. Network was using around 8kbps per user. But that was 300 mobs sending out path updates to everyone roughly once every 5-10 seconds. Overall, not bad. And there is some room for improvement. I can shorten up the paths that get sent out which would cut the network down and I'm being sloppy with some stuff that eats up memory and regenerating some numbers that I can re-use. Which is likely why you see the saw-tooth memory usage.

Supporter Weekend

Want another? Maybe for the hollidays? I was thinking of opening the alpha up to let supporters run around for a few days starting Wednesday, December 23rd through Sunday the 27th. And maybe open it for everyone that weekend.

Sorry I didn't make it, looks like you guys had fun though. (: That'll be cool having so many different death animations, just adds even more personalization to your character. Hope something vampiric will be available.

Any plans on a holiday event for WoT (besides supporter weekend) ?

Edited by Seph

Sorry I didn't make it, looks like you guys had fun though. (: That'll be cool having so many different death animations, just adds even more personalization to your character. Hope something vampiric will be available.

Any plans on a holiday event for WoT (besides supporter weekend) ?

Not really. I think we have other things to focus on before doing a cosmetic tileset.

Wow, so much progress in this past month, i'm blown away, it looks like a lot of things are really coming together, good job everyone all around, i said it in the discussion about the new tile set and ill say it again, in my opinion, it was a great design decision, everything looks more natural and blends together so much better, adding in buildings as a separate area will make buildings a much more prominant feature than they would be if they were roof-fading, and it opens up a lot of future opportunities when it comes to world building, also adding in mobs fighting back, death, respawning, and testing the server and how it handles all at once. I've been here for 6 months now and this feels like honestly the most productive month i've seen, this brings me so much joy to see how much progress is being made, keep up the good work everyone, i can't wait for the next supporters weekend now!

If you do the supporters weekend I'll be my first and I couldn't be more excited. I really wish I found out about this game sooner. It looks like it's coming along nicely and I think the interiors "teleport" is much better than the roof fade. It allows for a bigger-on-the-inside effect (much like a blue box I know) which can cut down on how big the building actually needs to be in the world map. keep it up.

That video is so amazing, it's what I have been waiting for! The game looks great, can't wait to play it :D I've been following the development ever since FO shut down, silently observing every update. This is finally something real! The choice between removing rooftops and teleporting to an interior was an obvious one, an interior teleport leaves a lot more space to the imagination and creativity. Maybe even sneak in a Dr. Who reference ;) (Big blue box that's bigger on the inside)

Will the edges of the map stay black like that, or will you add some kind of wall? And I'm all for selling animations and skins for money, it's a better design choice than pay2win which seems to do bad nowadays anyway. Look at some of the biggest games from their genre - League of Legends, Path of Exile, Counter Strike, Tera - They're all free to play with the option to purchase skins, no pay2win at all.

Edited by Benhamen

Ermagherd. It's all coming together now. That was one exciting update considering that you've got the basics of the games down: attacking, moving, and mobs. Of course there's plenty more to go, but still, it's amazing. Good job LlamaStaff!

@@iamallama if we do a death animation art contest do we need to have a certain fps or length for the animation?

No additional animations yet. I have quite a few and I'm not sure how they will work other than the ones I have which currently use the built in particle system. I mean people can speculate, but it will likely never be used until we formalize a format and I have other things more important to work on.

good thing i will be in home for holydays this year XD i like the idea of the house... i really dont know what more put on the comment because the only thing i can say is "this game is going exellent" and "i want to fight the hoards too!"

Edited by juraija

Oh, and @@Benhamen, the black will likely stay, but you won't see it. The separate maps can butt up against each other with no issue and so having an edge like that will probably either never happen or have another map connected to it. We have a template map with nothing but edge lines so the bulk of the map goes in the middle and things like forest, ledges or buildings appear on the edges. This is how FO did it.

what do you mean by six new updates

im only seeing one or am i missing something

Are you trolling or serious? 

1. New tile set

2. mob pathfinding

3. ari's house

4. interiors

5. mobs attack back

6. death animation

those are all separate game updates so i'm not sure where you're getting lost