Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KingAruthur

Community Driven Content/Admin's please read

6 posts in this topic

Hello fellows, another topic started today that I have been thinking about lately.  There is a point in every game where it reaches it's full potential and hard to improve, so many games alter to community made objects and servers.  I wanted to bring this idea in Waves Of Time and see if this idea will bring any good.  I see pixel art can be set into the game but I am talking about community made anniversary maps and holiday objects, etc.  I feel like when the community ties into the game it keeps the player in interest.  I can see that the game has a slow process of completion and I understand since most of us have lives to live.  I also thought maybe the dev's can reach out to this community for help, in art, suggestions (already started), and other ideas.  I have not seen much help besides the very old contests; also who knows maybe a big surprise or the game content a secret?  I was wondering if new contests can be made or something I can do to help.

Why I want to?

I'm on this forum constantly and always wanting to help, maybe someday my pixel art will improve; currently I am working on it on my free time.  Also not many people are active to my extent so I get bored reading the same topic 10 times.  

-king :D

I think it helps foster a community when you have their input as well. This is why I want the suggestion forums and things like that to exist. I have no problems with people doing things like writing quests or drawing mobs/clothing. Just remember that FO near the end did get a little crazy with all the odd crap people were making and IMO less enjoyable. I did enjoy having my spaceship to float around in though. WoT will have a higher standard for work done, especially in the art department. And I know LT isn't looking forward to spending days on end correcting or re-drawing something that someone wants.

5 minutes ago, iamallama said:

I think it helps foster a community when you have their input as well. This is why I want the suggestion forums and things like that to exist. I have no problems with people doing things like writing quests or drawing mobs/clothing. Just remember that FO near the end did get a little crazy with all the odd crap people were making and IMO less enjoyable. I did enjoy having my spaceship to float around in though. WoT will have a higher standard for work done, especially in the art department. And I know LT isn't looking forward to spending days on end correcting or re-drawing something that someone wants.

Oh yea, definitely respect the art standard, I know I am no where near as good as LT but it was a suggestion for others.  Also yea Fantasy Online did do much crap, sometimes I couldn't tell if the game was focused on iron age or the future.  They did have some ridiculous items but I guess that is what made FO a game like it is. 

I liked the odd crap. FO was quirky and fun in that regard and I hope LQ doesn't lose those elements of ridiculousness just for the sake of keeping something 'worldly'. Obviously, a community item should match the established theme, but I feel that even the odd things in FO were kept under reason and were in the interest of fun, as they should've been.

5 hours ago, ApathyBear said:

I liked the odd crap. FO was quirky and fun in that regard and I hope LQ doesn't lose those elements of ridiculousness just for the sake of keeping something 'worldly'. Obviously, a community item should match the established theme, but I feel that even the odd things in FO were kept under reason and were in the interest of fun, as they should've been.

You must not have seen some of the stuff I did then. I'm fine with things being fun and quirky, but I don't care for large emoji heads or stupid things like that. I would rather find stuff that is less crazy and fits the theme a little better with proper shading and stuff.

I'm fine with keeping LT locked in the basement shading every piece of SSC we all buy, but at some point we're going to have to consider what happens when different artists with different styles submit their pieces. Some will be dumb, like giant emoji heads and a twitter bird, but so are people. That's just the beauty of expression: free and good and awful and wonderful all at the same time.

So, how do we decide what outside content stays or disappears? Competitions and votes? A simple 'yes' or 'no' from the mod team? Pay LT full-time until he keels over and dies?

FO was nice in letting things fall in and out of fashion in their own time, offering box sets and discontinuing them after a while or bringing them back due to popular demand, and I take little to no issue with that model. I think your generic pixel pusher with a soft spot for art might deserve a little more credit, too; if they feel it won't fit in the world, in the theme established by other artists, they won't want to see it in the game.

(These questions and points are addressed to nobody in particular; feel free to jump in and tell me I'm wrong)

(also that twitter bird was super fly)

Edited by ApathyBear