iamallama

Devblog 87: Mail and Lighting

As always, nice work Llama! Glad to see things are progressing,  as always! 

And I'm not sure if you should worry about the impatient people(other than yourself). If/when you're content with what you've built, I have no doubt that we will be content too. 

Best of luck! 

I like this since it does give me an idea to when the game is going to be in beta.  Great work and I do like the roadmap ideas, since you are adding the day/night cycle it is giving me more ideas! :D

Edited to change the lighting gif into a link because for some reason, the embed code copied directly from imgur either includes an x-frame-options header that prevents the image from loading in an iframe (iframe that was copied with their embed code) or doesn't include the header to allow the iframe.

iamallama We have waited this long, don't feel pressured :P sounds like things are coming along at an extremely satisfying pace! Thanks for putting so much of your time into this! Your a gem!!!

Whats the bank feature like the storage fo had where you could put items? and does that mean you can have more than one character to an account?

im guessing the bank is like FO, you drop items there and maybe also money and yes multiple characters per account, not just one anymore

both of these features comes with premium upgrades i believe, like more tabs for bank and more char slots

Edited by Terrazer

Yea, that's pretty much it. I think the last open weekend had multiple characters per account. I'll eventually add in a way to buy additional slots using premium. Bank is just what was said too, like FO where you can put stuff. But the first tab is free and additional tabs are available for premium cost and the tabs can be shared between multiple characters (not accounts though).

The new FoW-like lighting thing you have going looks pretty nice not gonna lie, besides the normal-ish night/day cycle I can at least see it working well in something along the lines of cave dungeons as a way to restrict the player's vision and hide monsters from sight, or even things like traps that only become visible after the light level on their tiles becomes high enough.  It would be a nice way to put another challenge in besides only killing monsters and wandering about, though maybe not in every dungeon.

I'm gonna take a bit of a shot in the dark and assume the map importer script just generally makes your life a little bit easier in the way of making new maps once you have all the art properly organized for anything you'd need to put in them. So all in all I think it looks like you've made some pretty nice progress this month. G'luck with it, excited for the next devblog as always! :thumbup:

Cool, glad to hear you're persistent and keeping it up. I ended up leaving the discord a while back so that I could focus on a little Unity and a lot of Blender 3D modeling and art, but I'll probably end up back there eventually once the game gets booted back up or so.

I noticed you need a lot of content, are you planning on crowd sourcing stuff with Tiled? How many people are actively working on art these days?

On 10/3/2017 at 9:10 AM, Terrazer said:

im guessing the bank is like FO, you drop items there and maybe also money and yes multiple characters per account, not just one anymore

both of these features comes with premium upgrades i believe, like more tabs for bank and more char slots

On 10/3/2017 at 5:14 PM, iamallama said:

Yea, that's pretty much it. I think the last open weekend had multiple characters per account. I'll eventually add in a way to buy additional slots using premium. Bank is just what was said too, like FO where you can put stuff. But the first tab is free and additional tabs are available for premium cost and the tabs can be shared between multiple characters (not accounts though).

thank you for clearing all that up, premium i'm assuming is like gems from FO? are there gonna be memberships for this game, gems are great memberships not so much played both types of games.

yes premium currency we meant (called pixels), will be like in FO, bought by players with real cash and then can be traded for gold in game, i think there's a subscription system planned too, i dont recall if only bought with real cash or premium, would give some extra stuff but nothing important that would leave f2p players behind

5 hours ago, Ricardas said:

Good stuff, would like to try this out because of the nostalgia whilst playing the original Fantasy Online game. Keep it up!

The nostalgia always gets me when I think of FO, kinda breaks me down.

On 10/8/2017 at 4:01 PM, Archangel said:

You were working on instances right? Wasn't sure if you completed that section of the framework yet. 

Yea, I was. It was getting complicated quickly and I ended up just setting it aside for now. I decided that it wasn't critical for a beta release and can be something that can be added on later. It was taking up too much of my time and I would rather focus on release level stuff for now.

Quick question. So i know how gamer in the early days had an alpha for the game before it was complete, is that what the beta will also be, im noticing a lot about the game can have stuff worked on after beta so is there a 3rd form of the game? I thought Fantasy Online was in beta form when it was shut down