Sign in to follow this  
KingAruthur

Environmental Buffs/Debuffs

Basic Idea

Well the night/day cycle was introduced to the community so this helps to add on to this topic.  Well I am quite sure there will be biomes in WoT such as snowy, grassland, cave, etc.  Well it came up to me that it would make sense to have certain buffs or de-buffs which change the gameplay out a bit.  Well let me start with an example, in snowy biomes it is mostly a de-buff area but lets say a player walks into area of a snowy biome.  This will trigger X script and give the player -20 spd or so.  Also maybe some more advanced de-buffs such as reduced damage to certain mobs like slimes (since they're frozen lol) and this will allow a door for more items like weapons that work well in this biome.  The only problem is that it would be very tedious to get like 10 different weapons for each biome.  A solution to this problem is providing weapon implants such as gems. (Making Another topic about gems).  Gems would allow 1 weapon to be more universal for many things.  Instead of having a weapon for each biome maybe only have 2 weapons which would conserve space.  

More Details

Smaller details that I could suggest are rare items that drop from each biome, like many games include such as Terraria which allow a key to drop in a 1 in 5000 chance.  This key opens a chest at certain places of the world that unlock a great weapon.  It would be beneficial to add to WoT because it these rare items would be great for collecting or simply using as a support item.  Instead using the primary weapon for grinding in X biome.  Rather use the rare item that was earned to grind in the same biome which will buff the player and is more efficient than the primary item.  Example:Snowy biome with Rare item (snowy item) will activate +20 spd and +20 Dmg instead of -20 spd.  This is also great because it allows end game players to have something to farm for.  

Problems with Biome items

Well since the rare item drop would rely on luck this could allow very low level players to receive this items and make the game very unbalanced.  There are 2 solutions to this problem; Solution one is simple, certain biomes will only be accessible once a X level is reached.  Solution 2 is have a quest that will activate after completing all the other quests in that biome.  This allows players to focus on main quests first. 

How does the Night/Day cycle contribute?

In the first area I mentioned that the night/day cycle was added so this area tells why it contributes to the "biome" topic.  This will be a short piece.  A simple idea is the during night or day it makes the mobs harder which will increase to drop chance for a rare item.  Maybe some biomes will be better at day or night.

-King 

Hey King! Thanks for another great suggestion!

I agree on the idea that it would be interesting to have certain effects or 'dampers' inflicted upon your player in certain biomes. Many newer adventure genre have these added and they seem to make people more excited and engrossed into the environmental aspect of the game.  One example is the new Zelda: Breath of the Wild, for the Nintendo Switch, in which the biomes have extremely prominent affects on the player, and force you to wear different armor, eat different foods, and use different weapons. I think games like this prove that it is something people are interested in.

However. With WoT it might be a bit more of a challenge to implement. From what I understand the game rotates around a story of about 3-6 elements (I do not remember), and these elements are largely isolated to a single island/area/zone. This could mean that implementing these biome affects in methods like gem implants would not introduce the same kind of fun diverse play you are thinking of, as it seems you would be fighting lots of fire monsters.... and then no fire monsters but lots of water monsters.... 

I do think this opens up the discussion on how they plan to do the map layout though, will players be encouraged to return to earlier points in the game by more quests or stronger monsters? Or will areas be more so forgotten like Pirate Island in FO. If they are forgotten what happens to the large amount of work that went into creating a elemental environment for that zone?

Just some thoughts. I like where the idea is going though.

11 hours ago, jjthejj said:

Hey King! Thanks for another great suggestion!

I agree on the idea that it would be interesting to have certain effects or 'dampers' inflicted upon your player in certain biomes. Many newer adventure genre have these added and they seem to make people more excited and engrossed into the environmental aspect of the game.  One example is the new Zelda: Breath of the Wild, for the Nintendo Switch, in which the biomes have extremely prominent affects on the player, and force you to wear different armor, eat different foods, and use different weapons. I think games like this prove that it is something people are interested in.

However. With WoT it might be a bit more of a challenge to implement. From what I understand the game rotates around a story of about 3-6 elements (I do not remember), and these elements are largely isolated to a single island/area/zone. This could mean that implementing these biome affects in methods like gem implants would not introduce the same kind of fun diverse play you are thinking of, as it seems you would be fighting lots of fire monsters.... and then no fire monsters but lots of water monsters.... 

I do think this opens up the discussion on how they plan to do the map layout though, will players be encouraged to return to earlier points in the game by more quests or stronger monsters? Or will areas be more so forgotten like Pirate Island in FO. If they are forgotten what happens to the large amount of work that went into creating a elemental environment for that zone?

Just some thoughts. I like where the idea is going though.

Definitely see what you mean,  the main idea is to get players to different areas on the map because it is always good to have diversity.  In FO the only spots people played were in Crab City or so.  I still think the the certain effects are great for the community because it changes the game up.  Some people fast play games and grind for hours, doing this would add some challenge to players.  Plus since I thought of suggesting weapons for the biomes it allows people to switch gear since the benefits would cover the pain of loosing some inventory space.

On 07/10/2017 at 1:33 PM, KingAruthur said:

Definitely see what you mean,  the main idea is to get players to different areas on the map because it is always good to have diversity.  In FO the only spots people played were in Crab City or so.  I still think the the certain effects are great for the community because it changes the game up.  Some people fast play games and grind for hours, doing this would add some challenge to players.  Plus since I thought of suggesting weapons for the biomes it allows people to switch gear since the benefits would cover the pain of loosing some inventory space.

I like the core concept of your idea being that it creates diversity. Maybe there's a way we could involve gems or something else in a unique way that brings in traits that are not elements? Like blunt damage, piercing, poison/burn/slow could even be consider non-elemental. Or they could include a Light/Darkness attribute. This could be present in all of the Biomes. So you'd have essential evil and good fire/earth/water/air creatures. I think that could work really well! 

3 hours ago, jjthejj said:

I like the core concept of your idea being that it creates diversity. Maybe there's a way we could involve gems or something else in a unique way that brings in traits that are not elements? Like blunt damage, piercing, poison/burn/slow could even be consider non-elemental. Or they could include a Light/Darkness attribute. This could be present in all of the Biomes. So you'd have essential evil and good fire/earth/water/air creatures. I think that could work really well! 

Ima make a start a topic like that, I will credit you for your idea.